After the eyes, the lips are the most noticeable feature on your face. They are the frame of the smile we show the world. Keeping your lipstick in place, energetic, and beautiful all day long is good for your social life and your confidence. So here are just a few makeup tips for lips to keep you smiling.
- The Right Support
The purpose of lipstick is to draw attention, so making sure your lips themselves are healthy should always be your first step. Exfoliate regularly, keep a tube or tub of Chapstick with you at all times, and be sure to moisturize (especially in the dry, colder months). Many lip primers also contain moisturizing agents. Just remember: the best lipstick in the world won’t do much to hide chapped, unhealthy lips.
- The Right Tools
There is no one right way to apply lipstick. Every face is different. Many pros use retractable brushes. Madonna swears by a short-haired brush. Many people apply with their fingers, while still others apply with a brush and spread with their fingers. The method isn’t as important as your comfort level with the tool. Make sure you have complete and total control over the process, whether you use a brush or your own fingers.
- The Right Color
As with application, there are no hard-and-fast rules about what color you should use. Some general makeup tips for lipstick colors include:
- Complement your skin tone and your hair.
- Don’t look for a shade that will make your teeth seem brighter.
- The older you get, the bolder the color should be.
- Everyone should have a shade of red they like.
- Stay away from the very edges of your lips, to avoid bleed throughout the day.
- Always test colors on your fingertip, not the back of your hand. The fingertip is much closer in texture to the lips.